[中评] 《天佑鲍比/Prayers for Bobby》:A boy is listening

Long before I cried at a shot. Last time it was Bridges over Medison County like 10 years ago, and this time it is Prayers for Bobby. I cried when Mary cannot help quivering and crying herself to die, in huge regret and sorrow. I can feel that pain at that time, like being drowned in ocean of sadness. There was the impulse that I could play instead of Weaver- I would do everything to compensate for my fatal prejudice but there is no chance for me to bring him back to life.

"I know why God didn't heal him, because he is not wrong..." Every single word is said by blood.

It is a story about faith and love - actually the conflict and reconciliation between them. Seeing the first half, it is really difficult to believe that one's faith can be so unreasonable. It is really doubtful what can be brought from that. Love? I will thank god if only not hatred. She regarded her beloved son as a sinful pervert who would go hell. She prayed for him everyday. She felt guilty and miserable. Even more she drew him joining her in being tortured. A combination of sin, devastated self esteem, feeling of being abandoned...if I were Bobby, being that passionate and submissive, I would kill myself, too.

On contrast, the second half is about the reconciliation between love and faith. Bobby's death forced her fiercely to adopt another way to interpret Bible. What a price! She was so devout that only death can make her change - that makes Bobby's suicide inevitable. I can understand her mental struggle and I know that is really painful. U have to reshuffle all u used to believe with the huge grief that no matter what u do u cannot have him back.

The cast is good. Performance given by Sigourney Weaver is convincing. The final shot with rainbow flags which icon gay pride amazingly corresponds with the candles lightend in the end of Milk.

There is a long way for us to go to totally accept LGBT as they are. There will be various obstacles and some of them are so hard that death is due. And there will be hope.

Cannot type Chinese on this very laptop. Sorry for causing unnecessary trouble.

What I want to say is if you do it in English please do it in a formal way.
置莲怀袖 发表于 2010-11-28 10:40

What do you mean by a "formal way"? This is a public forum, isn't it? As long as I haven't violated any rules, I am allowed to write whatever I want in whatever manner I felt comfortable with.  It is ridiculous to impose more sanctions on me simply b/c I couldn't type Chinese.

回复 27# 置莲怀袖

As a total stranger to me, your judgment makes no sense, and it is rude.

• 三国群英传私服
  •